Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dude, don't get a Dell!


My mother-in-law's computer started turning off, and she called Dell.  They told her she needed a new motherboard.

IMG00185.jpg
CPU without the heatsink.
Being the resident computer geek, I came down to take a look and found that the bracket which holds the heatsink fan assembly to the CPU was broken, so the heatsink was not properly pressing against the CPU, and thus was not cooling the CPU.  The CPU was overheating and turning off as a safety mechanism.

My plan was to get online and find the replacement part, and fix the computer.  My mother-in-law said "Why don't you call Dell.  They'll help." 

I hate calling tech support.  I loathe it.  Each time I try, I have problems regulating my blood pressure and fight to keep a civil tongue.  Call centers don't talk to tech savvy often, so their script and experience is geared to grandmothers, Luddites, and red necks.  As such, they won't listen, assume I'm wrong, and treat me like a moron.

So, after my mother-in-law prodded me a bit more, I gave up and called Dell for a replacement part.

I  spent almost an hour on the phone with them.  After explaining what I needed over and over again, and after sending them two pictures, they still didn't understand what I needed.

They kept on saying that the part I needed came with the heatsink fan.  It does not.  Their own website said so. 

After awhile, the fellow on the phone got his  "Technical Support Manager."   This guy looked at the picture of the CPU without the heatsink and said that  that the computer didn't have a CPU installed!  Anyone who has even a modicum of computer experience, can see the CPU is there!

IMG00184.jpg
The broken bracket.
Since my mother-in-law has never so much as opened her case, this is a case of a material defect.


A Dell illustration showing the bracket(green)

I found the part I needed for $7 in ten minutes on Google.  Thanks Dell.  Wonderful support staff there.  You have convinced me never, under any circumstances, buy a computer from you. 

No comments: